Friday, February 15, 2008

Spectacular Venaculars


Hip-Hop and the Politics of Postmodernism


This book explains how hip-hop is viewed as a "postmodern successor” to African American culture. For example, hip hop was influenced by many different elements of African American culture such as jazz. It examines the role that hip-hop plays in the African American experience. By using many political and rhetorical terms, the book demonstrates that hip-hop is a form of rebellion by historical standards. This book seems like it would be very interesting for me because it describes hip-hop in a different way than I have ever seen.



This book seems to use theory and practices of other postmodern movements in comparison to hip-hop, which is why it is seen as a "rebellion." Seeing as how the author, Dr. Russell A. Potter, is a white man it is easy to see why he, a professor at Rhode Island College, would describe hip-hop in such a rhetorical tone. For most fans of hip-hop, this book would not be very viable. Because the book is coming from a white man who seems to have no personal interest in hip-hop, only its rhetorical elements, I think most hip-hop fans would resound with a unanimous "it’s not that serious." However, I allow myself to view this book with a different perspective. I read the book as if hip-hop were not apart of my upbringing nor my current life, and see it as an unidentifiable entity.






The only reason this author is qualified to write a book about hip-hop is because he is a Doctor of English Language and Linguistics, History and culture of the Canadian Arctic, Victorian visual culture, Media Studies.

2 comments:

Veronica Woods said...

I agree with the part about the white man being an outsider looking in basically. I feel that his only credibility is being a Doctor of English Language and Linguistics, History and culture of the Canadian Arctic, Victorian visual culture, Media Studies. Other than that I would say that he really do not the meaning behind the words in these songs. Great Job bye the way!

D. Irving said...

I'm not sure how you feel like his degree makes him qualified