Monday, February 11, 2008

"This better my lucky star" - Dizzee Rascal


I remember the first time I heard about Dizzee Rascal about four years ago. He was mentioned on a MTV "Artist to Look Out For" Special. As the first couple images of him flashes on the screen, I thought "another typical black dude rapping...wahoo." But then I heard a snippet of him rapping and he was obviously not another typical rapper. He had the most unique accent. Then the narrator of the program proclaimed that he was from London. I thought "how queer!" a rappper from London! When I pictured London, I pictured the Queen, Big Ben and cold weather, but never a hip social scene with rappers. Naive, I was.


Now, Dylan Mills, also known as Dizzee Rascal has taken the world by storm! Although Dizzee had a hard up-bringing, detained for stealing cars and being expelled from secondary schools, he was very talented. He began MCing on the radio and at parties at fifteen. In 2004, Dizzee Rascal made an international endorsement deal with the brand Eckō Red and designed his own shoe with Nike in 2005.





Not only has Dizzee crossed over in terms of location and business skills, he crossed over genres. Dizzee worked with artist Beck on a remix of the song "Hell Yes."








No comments: